Sunday, 26 June 2011

Damsel in Distress Dresser

Well, as the title may hint, this piece has caused me a little bit of distress. Not because of any major problems - structurally it was fantastic, the drawers run like a dream, the mirror is intact, it was a bargain at auction and everything did run smoothly. What did bother me about this piece was that I bought it in the depths of the winter, and started sanding and working on this about two months ago, so I feel it has been dragging on and on and I hate that! Anyway, it is finished now :) and it looks mighty cute!

I used an electric sander, primed it with 1-2-3 water based, and used a creamy white oil-based paint with a roller that I could just chuck out after. Happy Days! Then I gave it a little worn in feel by lightly distressing it. I kept the original handles because I thought they were cute and very 'french', so I just gave them a clean and sprayed them with Rustoleum oil-rubbed bronze paint. Then I lined the drawers with gold and cream Laura Ashely paper. After this I gave a couple of coats of clear wax just to protect from future make-up stains and the like...

So it is up for auction on ebay, just follow the link, and is currently sitting in the van waiting to be taken to the shop tomorrow (Homemakers Discounts Coleraine).
Hope you like :)
Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingFurniture Feature Fridays


  1. it looks lovely! i am in love with the fun shape of that mirror!
    so glad you are back!

  2. The dresser looks great, and quite durable. Thanks for visiting me. I took a peek around your blog. Keep posting, I'm your newest follower.

  3. This looks great! I love giving new life to old pieces!