Monday 3 October 2011

Worth the Wait

This little gem has been a long time coming, but as the title suggests, was worth the wait! My dad found this one for me in a skip of all places so it was absolutely free. It was going to be thrown out because the top left hand corner had broken off, and to be honest if I had of been the one to see it I don't think that I would have taken it home because of the state of it - I mean how do you add a corner onto furniture? Beats me.
Here she is;

I would love to tell you all how to fix this up, I even have step by step photographs for you all but the honest answer to 'How did ya do it?' is... 'my daddy!' - he did it for me when I was out one day. Lets see what he did
 Drilled holes and glued in wooden dowels

 Sanded..
 Got a good samaritan 'Tommy Mooney' to do the edging, and what a fantastically smooth job he did;
 Then primed and lightly sanded
Now it was over to me. I really liked the table being white but I wanted a challenge so couldn't make up my mind when I had a visit from a friend who wanted it painted in black with lots of lovely gold on the details. Not a bad idea! So I got to work and here she is

I sprayed it with gold craft paint first including the inside and outside of drawers, then gave it two coats of black water-based eggshell paint which I love because it is environmentally friendly, washes out of the brush in water, and has a lovely sheen which I found very similar to the quality of oil-based paint. Last of all I waxed it a couple of times et voila!

Thank you very, very much to Tommy Mooney and my dad for helping me on this one.

HOG
Furniture Feature Fridays

2 comments:

  1. Way to go dad!! It looks fabulous.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS...now THAT'S one professional restore!! Kudos to you and your Dad!

    Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete